Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A7 Updates

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pantera74l's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Everyone;I'm new here and am the proud new owner of a pair of A7's.They breakdown like this;cabs are 825,woofers are 416-8a,these are 16"with cast baskets,HFhorns are 811b,drivers are 806-8a and crossover N801-8a.Is there anything I should change or update on these?I was also wondering if theres a bi-amp crossover for these.I have an SAE 400watt amp and a SAE 300w amp that I'd like to use?Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi ,
    Welcome to this board,

    Your lucky to own a pair of A-7. First thing before going any further is to ask you. Do they sound right to you. If the answer is yes I would leave them as is.

    ...................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by pantera74l:
    Hi Everyone;I'm new here and am the proud new owner of a pair of A7's.They breakdown like this;cabs are 825,woofers are 416-8a,these are 16"with cast baskets,HFhorns are 811b,drivers are 806-8a and crossover N801-8a.Is there anything I should change or update on these?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd probably start with the vaccum cleaner.... they're bound to be dusty inside and out :-)

    I was also wondering if theres a bi-amp crossover for these.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean an electronic crossover? When bi-amping the factory passive crossover won't be used anymore. I believe some of the guys here use Rane products. Personally, I think I'm going to stay with passive crossovers with mine. Either re-capping them, or buidling new ones.

    I have an SAE 400watt amp and a SAE 300w amp that I'd like to use?Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a lot of power for an A7 that was originally designed for low power tube amps. What is your intended use for these speakers?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pantera74l's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm using these in my garage,its 30ft. wideX50ft. long and has 12ft ceilings.Could i use the 400 watt amp directly to the woofer and run the 300 watt through the speakers crossover?Thanks again

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by pantera74l:
    I'm using these in my garage,its 30ft. wideX50ft. long and has 12ft ceilings.Could i use the 400 watt amp directly to the woofer and run the 300 watt through the speakers crossover?Thanks again
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I'm betting you'll blow your speakers with that much power. If not it would be insanely loud. Horns are quite efficient.... meaing that it doesn't take as much power to drive them to any given decibel level, as a less efficeint system.

    Regarding the way you want to connect them..... I don't think that would be the way to do it. Your woofers will be trying to play full range. The HF driver would only be getting the higher frequncies, as they should, but the amp would still be pushing the lows, as well, and I don't know if that would have any bad effects or not.

    Have you listened to the A7's yet?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pantera74l's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    no i have to pick them up

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you say overkill!
    I power my A-7s with a Simaudio amp the produces 85 watts. With the volume control set halfway, it's insanely loud, rock concert loud and very clean! Although my room dims are much smaller than yours, 26 by 14.
    Cheers

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree , 300 watts is risky . You could damage your
    HF driver.

    Besides an amp to be fully efficient should be fully open.

    150 watt per channel is plenty.It all depends at what level your going to play them.

    Biamped JBL cinema speakers recommend an amp between
    100 and 150 watt for the HF driver and 400 to 600
    watts for the woofers assuming there are 2 or 4 woofers in a cabinet.THese are acording to recent
    components made by them.

    The same would aply for Altecs 515 8GHP rated at 200 watts and the 399 HF driver.

    But not low power 75 wattts woofer and 30 watt HF driver.You will get the same amount of DB in a small room but the lack of dynamic spl range for Theaters of 400 seats.

    Convergence

    ...........................................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.